Position Title: Specialist Design Engineer
Location: Bletchley, UK
The role holder is responsible for leading design, development and engineering activities within the BT Smart Hub development team. The core purpose of this role is to contribute to the design and development of BT’s broadband CPE for current and next generation hardware and software platforms.
- Work under general direction within a clear framework of accountability, substantial personal responsibility and autonomy. Plan own work, to meet given objectives and processes.
- Accountable for leading on one, or more, concurrent design deliverables to achieve required business benefits and manage to timescales, quality and driving the customer experience.
- Lead and contribute to the production of impact assessments to support new work requests into the Domain through understanding the business objectives and objectively assessing the potential solutions.
- Review internal and external proposals to ensure they are conformant with CPE platform architectural strategy and design patterns.
- Apply the standard BT Processes and Procedures to the designs they are leading and thus provide effective governance.
- Take responsibility for managing the design process from requirements capture and shaping, the production and approval of all artefacts, provision of design oversight and providing input to the assurance of the implementation, testing and deployment phases of the delivery.
- Understand the impact that the designs have for the business and provide effective input into engagements with all relevant stakeholders.
- Leadership – assist in shaping and delivering the transformation strategy for the Hub development team.
- Solution Design – translating requirements and high level architecture into a Solution Design. General experience of solution design/architecture across multiple distributed systems and integration with BT’s L2C & T2R OSS systems e.g. UKB and CCP.
- Communications Skills – Own and lead design discussions, presenting designs to technical approval boards and gaining concurrence with business stakeholders and external vendors.
- Broad Technical Skills – IPv4/v6 Networking, Broadband xDSL, Wi-Fi, CPE WAN Management (TR-069, TR-181, etc), Voice over IP, IoT, IP Multicast, 4G/5G mobile networking. In depth knowledge of a number of these required.
- First degree qualification (engineering/science) or other IT industry qualifications and evidence of vocational training/experience.
- General experience of product solution design/architecture involving OSS/BSS systems interactions and process flows.
- Experience in technical design, development, and engineering or production of embedded devices, ideally focussed on the home gateway space.
- Knowledge and experience of working with in-home customer premise equipment, home/office networking and/or related technologies, e.g. Broadband DSL, 4G/5G Mobile networks, Wi-Fi, DECT, IoT, UPnP, IP Multicast.
- Preferably knowledge of data diagnostics and “Big Data” technologies.
- Preferably experience in software architecture/design/development on embedded Linux systems.
- Preferably some experience of test automation and continuous integration and testing strategies.
We’ve always been an organisation with purpose; to use the power of communications to make a better world. You can trace this back to our beginning as pioneers of the world’s first telecommunications company.